Monday 9 January 2012

Film genre and sub genre




Genre: A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter. For example: Horror i.e The Rite

Sub-Genre: A subcategory within a particular genre. For example: Action/comedy/romance i.e Mr&Mrs Smith

The gap between the amount of suspense genre films made to action/adventure films made is exceptionally big. In 2010; there were only 38 suspense films made whereas action/adventure had 71 films made that year. The statistics goes to show that the majority of people are more interested in films that tend to bring excitment rather than films that require you to think. Therefore suspense films have more of a smaller audience compared to action/ adventures has a wide spread audience.



Personally; the genres that interests me are action/thriller/adventure/suspense films. I like these films because they are films that require you to think and you never know what is going to happen. Whereas with romance or drama films, you are more than likely to know what is going to happen next and at the end. Animated and comedy films are great as well, because it makes me laugh and brings happiness and joy to me. Films like these I could watch over and over again.

In terms of thrillers; the film that inspired me the most has to be:
                                                                                    

The stepfather.
This film inspired me because the music was the main thing that created tension and suspense for the audience. This made me realise that in my own film opening I could use music  instead of words to create tension for my audience and really bring the genre of thriller out to the audience.


In Stepfather, during the scenes that had the highest tension, there were hardly any dialogue; but facial expressions and dialogue were the key features of making the climax successful. To show these facial expressions, there were many medium close ups and mid shots to ensure that the facial expressions and body language is clear to the audience. Watching this influences me to ensure i put enough close ups in my film opening to ensure that body language and facial expressions does the dialogue instead and definitely creates tension for the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment